Tuesday 14 August 2012

Pride and Prejudice - Love, Lies and Lizzie by Rosie Rushton



When Mrs Bennet inherits enough money to move into the kind of village she has always dreamed of, her daughters find themselves swept up in a glamorous life of partying & country pursuits. However, Lizzie & her sisters soon discover the truth.

-----
Mrs Bennet has finally been able to realize her dream of living the life of pims and garden parties. And it is in this new world that her daughters Jane and Lizzie meet the men of their dreams, or in Lizzie's case - NIGHTMARES!


While Jane is falling head over heals in love with the caring Charlie, Lizzie is being driven mad by the prideful Jame Darcy who is dead set against Public School students.
-----
 
I got off on a pretty bad footing with Lizzie in this book.

Why?

The very first paragraph.
"So you dumped him? Just like that? In the middle of the school trip? Are you crazy?"
So I spent the rest of the book until it was explained just why she dumped her boyfriend being not all that fond of her. 

Love, Lies and Lizzie follows the skeleton plot of Pride and Prejudice with the characters having the same prominent characteristics as in Austen's work.  

Mrs Bennett is just as over the top,ridiculous and indulging of Lydia - although I found her ten times for annoying in this re-telling. And Lydia is just as stupid and selfish as ever. In fact I found her for so in this, there were risks enough back in Austen's times but NOW those risks have multiplied and this stupid girl gives no consideration to her actions and how it it affecting her family. 

All in all a quick and entertaining modern re-telling of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. 


Post Signature

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! I was going to read and review this for the Pride and Prejudice week and I was looking forward to it, I hope I like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard of this book last night when I was checking to see if there was any more retellings I was forgetting for the post I'm writing for the last week of the tour (I know I should have send it already :( I'm sorry, I suck).

    It sounds pretty interesting though I don't know how I would feel about not liking Lizzie for so long.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!