Saturday 30 June 2012

Outlander Read-a-Long - Chapters 1-7





I have gotten off to a brilliant start with this read-a-long - not. Just started and I am already 2 weeks behind. *sigh*


Here goes.



1. Outlander is a well-known book. Before you cracked it open, what were your expectations or assumptions about this story? Or did you jump into it with a blank slate? 

I was first Introduced to Outlander when I was 13 by my school librarian believe it or not. She didn’t give me them to red or anything but she did read them in front of me and lunchtime. Yes, I was one of those kids who went to the library to eat their lunch and help stack books. So yeah, she read them in front of me, which, we all know is tantamount to putting it into someone’s hand when that someone is an avid reader. It wasn’t until a year or so down the line that I managed to get my hands on it from the local library. To be honest I was kind of bored by it and it wasn’t until last year that I finally read it all the way through and loved it. So I went in with a kinda, sorta, blank slate last year but this time around, no ;)



2. Claire’s husband, Frank, is fascinated with learning more and more facts about his family tree, which extends back pretty far. Do you or anyone in your family keep a family tree? How many years/generations back does it go? If not, have you ever considered or attempted to create one?

*sings* I hate Frank! Tralalalalalaaaaa.

Anyway, no we do not keep a family tree (at least no on in my immediate family does anyway). My only experience with a family tree was when we had to do one for school. I only know of my family as far back as my great grandparents on my mums mum, side of the family. After that the family was in Ireland… I do believe that I have quite a few gazillian times removed cousins over there and in America…

Ummmm I won’t deny that after watching that TV programme where the celebrities find out about where they came from I am not intrigued by the idea but I would not want to make a family tree. I am not a believer that I need to know where I came from to know where I am going or anything like that (my pet hate in ‘I-am-not-a-person-until-I know-who-my-father is’ films) so I do not have that to motivate me and although I would find it interesting I just don’t have the time… (or maybe I am just shallow ;))


3. How did you find Claire’s initial conclusion as to her surroundings after waking up from going through the stones? Did you think that was a reasonable conclusion?

Realistic! I think when I read a book I like to think that I am above the character I am reading about in how they react to things. ‘*scoff* yeah right, I would totally not do that!’ – that kind of thing. But nope. I totally agree with her.


4. How about her composed, rational way of dealing with the fact she’s traveled back in time. Did you find it believable? Do you think you would have acted the same way?

I think that her way of dealing with what had happened may have come from her being a nurse during the war. As a nurse she would have to be adaptable, be able to push her own feeling aside and able to handle whatever was thrown at her, so seeing it like this I think that her way of dealing with it was believable. If it was someone else, I am not so sure. Ummm…I would like to say yes, but the truth would be no. As soon as I realised where I was I would be all “Noooooooooooooo. My blog!” lol. 


5. At this point in the story, what are your feelings or expectations on Claire and Jamie? Is Frank still a factor for you?
Um since I have already read this I can’t really answer that. Although I will say that I found theit interactions kind of cute the first read around and I still do now.

Frank ceased to be a factor for me after I met him. SO don’t like that man! Although I do feel sorry for Claire and she obviously misses him. *mumbles* Though I don’t know why.


Bonus Question: Frank encounters a man outside of the inn where he and Claire are staying. He is afraid it might have been a ghost. What do you believe it was? Do you have any predictions or suspicions on what that was about?

This is one of the hang-ups with Outlander fans from what I have gathered. Who is the ghostly scot? The romantic in me would like to think that it is Jamie and that he and Claire are caught in some kind of loop and that no matter who is alive or dead they are never apart from one another. *sigh*


TADA! Better late than never right :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!