Thursday 8 March 2012

The Travelling Matchmaker by M.C. Beaton Wrap-Up




Yip, I finally finished the Travelling Matchmaker books by M.C. Beaton (writing as Marion Chasney).

To say that there are only six books in this series and each of them coming in at under 200 pages each I found it a bot of a slog after I reached the half way point.

I just didn’t care all that much about the characters I was reading about. In most of the books there was a MAIN romance and then there was a backing couple who although not the main focus of the story had their own issues to overcome in order to find happiness. Now in the case of the fifth book I found the supporting couple a lot more interesting that main one – now I don’t know about you but I don’t think that is how it is supposed to work.

Not a lot of time seemed to be spent in fleshing out the characters – except for Hannah but on the whole the series is about her anyway – and because of this most of them appeared to be very shallow and would miraculously within a matter of a few days have a complete 180o personality change by the end of the book. Sure. I mean, I am not saying that this isn’t possible but I am meant to believe that they can change the mind set and habits of a lifetime in a matter of a few days. And then this new them and the future spouse of their choosing are going to live happily ever after…. Really.

But (yeah you guys knew there would be one somewhere didn’t you) the series was worth reading for the recurring characters. Namely Hannah Pym – our matchmaker of the title, Sir George, and Hannah’s footman Benjamin (who joined the series in the third book when Hannah helped in stopping him from being hung).
 And then of course we have the recurring baaaaaaad lady who we eventually see get what is coming to her.

I am happy to say that the last book if the series was the most likable for me so it did leave me with a happy memory of the series – thankfully.

I think the series is worth reading for some nice, clean, fluffy romance and a little bit of mystery (and I mean a little ;))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!