Monday 12 March 2012

Naked in Death (In Death #1) by J.D. Robb

naked
It is the year 2058, and technology now completely rules the world. But New York City Detective Eve Dallas knows that the irresistible impulses of the human heart are still ruled by just one thing-passion.
When a senator's daughter is killed, the secret life of prostitution she'd been leading is revealed. The high-profile case takes Lieutenant Eve Dallas into the rarefied circles of Washing-ton politics and society. Further complicating matters is Eve's growing attraction to Roarke, who is one of the wealthiest and most influential men on the planet, devilishly handsome... and the leading suspect in the investigation.


Crime fiction has never really been my thing. I love a good crime drama on the T.V. don’t get me wrong but I think I can trace my dislike for the paper side of the fiction to some rubbishy short tory I had to read in and dissect in secondary school. Isn’t it amazing how much school is responsible for.

Anyway, moving on.
In the past few months I have been picking up more crimey based stuff, starting with the Sherlock Holmes stories and after reading of the ‘In Death’ characters in the book “Everything I know About Love I learned from Romance Novels’ the series caught my interest and I thought I would check it out.
everything
So there is the intro. Smile

This book was pretty enjoyable but it coasted waaaaay to close to the edge of my comfort zone for…well…comfort but if I am to read the whole series I think that is something that I will have to get used to. It was not as ground shakingly AWESOME as I was maybe led to expect from various comments that I have read and heard about the books, but it was a page turner.

The book is set in the future – which except for some small things it doesn’t really make any difference. The technology is slightly different and you can zip across the pacific in next to no time or go gambling on a satellite…but nothing mind blowing. Which I will say I liked. I didn’t have to spend the book scratching my head trying to figure out what the technology was. Instead I could concentrate on the investigations and the people.

Eve Dallas our heroine is the investigating detective on a murder (that quickly becomes murders). She is head strong and self-reliant and does not take anything from anyone that she cannot dish back at them. But she has ghosts that haunt her from her past. And this was what made me uncomfortable. She was abused as a child and this is something that I just don’t like reading about – either in fiction or true-life stories. Like  I said though if I am to stick through the series I’ll have to get accustomed to it as it will no doubt come up more and more.

And then there is our hero Roarke. Who, to be fare as the book focuses mainly on Eve's thoughts and actions, I am not entirely sure what to think of him yet…

I am looking forward to seeing more of Eve’s relationship with the people that she works with and I think these characters will become more and more alive with every book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!