Monday 26 December 2011

Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys by Kate Brian



REVIEW!
Been a while since one of these hasn't it. :) xx
Megan is used to moving from place to place -- it's typical for an army brat. But she drew the line at South Korea. She insists on staying in the States to finish her last two years of high school. So her parents made arrangements for Megan to live with their friends, the McGowans...and the McGowans' 7 sons.
Turns out, living with 7 boys might as well be a foreign country! The boys are messy. They are cliquey (who knew?). And worst of all, two of the oldest boys are H-O-T. (A problem considering they are supposed to be Megan's "brothers.") Megan is definitely in enemy territory. She needs to win over the boys' hearts without totally crushing her own.
And when Megan starts falling for one of them, sibling rivalry takes on a whole new meaning....
What is a girl to do?


I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick and enjoyable read - although the ending left a little to be desired, I think.

When Megan's parents are assigned to Korea she puts her foot down, fed up of just going along with her parents wishes and never letting them know when something is bothering her and how much she hates the constant changing that their profession has her doing. So, her parents issue her with an ultimatum - which came up far to easily I think, if two people are about to leave their kid behind I would have thought there would be a bit more emotion attached.

The ultimatum being - Stay with the McGowans or pack for Korea.

You guys all know about my issues with parental figures and books. Thankfully Megan's parents are not around long enough for me to develops anything past a slight dislike for them - if they were around longer I think I would have a strong hate for them. They were far to happy to accepts Megan's word at face value and just for there own peace of mind they asked no more questions once she said 'yes, I am fine'

The McGowan parents were...OK. They were a bit slow on the uptake for setting rules for having this teenage girl around their seven sons. I don't care if there is an attraction between them or not you would think it would be common sense to set some kind of rules.

Some situations I did find a bit hard to get my head round and I found myself rolling my eyes at them - but then that could be just because my personal experiences are different from what is portrayed here.

The McGowan boys are very immature - even down to complaining about Megan's presence and trying to get rid of her (one of them hate her because it is his old room that she is in - very mature!)

But enjoyable and fun.

The one thing that let it down I think was the ending. It was very wishy washy. The kind of ending were things have just seemed to get going and suddenly. BAM. No more story.

I would say a solid 3 of 5. A good quick read but I wish there was an extra 100 or more pages on the page count. And not to sound snobby or anything, some character development and depth would have been nice.


free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

2 comments:

  1. Aww, it does sound rather wishy-washy over all.

    Which kind of sucks as I've been meaning to read this book for a while now. :P

    I might still give it a go, though

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Alex (A Girl, Books, OtherThings)

    Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with it. It left me wanting too much at the end, which is a shame because if there had just been...more, it would have been on my favorite books list.

    Worth a read though (but maybe if you manage to get it on sale...;))

    ReplyDelete

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!