Monday 29 August 2011

Beekeeping for Beginners by Laurie R. King

I read this ages ago and I could have sworn that I had posted about it...but obviously not :/
So here we go.  
Sherlock Holmes is fending off a particularly dark mood as he roams the Sussex Downs, in search of wild bees. The Great War may be raging across the Channel, but on the Downs, the great detective nears terminal melancholia—only to be saved by an encounter with headstrong, yellow-haired young Mary Russell, who soon becomes the Master’s apprentice not only in beekeeping but in detection.
Holmes instantly spots her remarkable ability, but his sharp eyes also see troubling problems. Why is this wealthy orphan who lives with her aunt so shabbily dressed? Why is she so prone to illness and accident? Is she herself the center of a mystery? These are questions that the great detective must answer quickly lest his protégée, and his own new lease on life, meet a sudden, tragic end.
The tale of their meeting has been told from Russell’s point of view, but even those who have never met the famed Russell-Holmes pair will read this tale with delight—and, as its climax builds, with breathless excitement.


This is a short story/novella length book that took me hardly any time at all to read.

I loved The Beekeepers Apprentice which is the first in the Mary Russell series and this is a section of that told from Holmes’ point of view. But only it isn’t. We start in first person with Holmes and then we are in third person and then we have a little told from Mary’s point of view and then we hear from Watson and then Mrs Hudson…I think I would have enjoyed it more if it was only Holmes that we were reading through. And the constant view changes made it a little stop-start for me. And to be honest, I don't care what everyone else is thinking. I bought the book to read what Holmes is thinking not Joe Bloggs down the street.  

That being said the story was a good read and something else to add to my Mary Russell collection. 


free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

2 comments:

  1. This sounds quite amazing! I hadn't heard of the series but lately I've become a little obsessed with Sherlock!

    Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Alex (A Girl, Books, OtherThings

    I have only read the first one so far and it was really good. The rest are waiting to be read :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!