Sunday 22 May 2011

Forever Mine by Elizabeth Reyes



Seventeen-year old Sarah’s life is turned upside down when her single mom is sent to jail. She’s forced to move, leaving behind everything she’s ever known, including her best friend Sydney. Lost and bitter in a new school, her one goal is to save money and move back home. Then she meets Angel Moreno. 

Enigmatic but gorgeous, Angel is almost too good to be true. Except for one thing, his archaic belief that guys and girls can never be “just friends”. The problem? Sarah’s best friend Sydney is not a girl. 

With their unexpected romance intensifying to places neither ever experienced, how long can Sarah keep Angel in the dark? And how will he react when the truth finally comes out?




I have been looking forward to reading this book for weeks (as you can probably see from my IMM post) but sadly it was a let-down of epic standards…for me anyway. But then again I have been pretty tough on the YA books lately haven’t I.


The sex in this book was heavier than what you would find in your average YA novel and frequent – not necessarily actual sex but conversation and stuff like that. 

The first time that they are really alone (which is only their second or third meeting) they are kissing, and then the first date (that is the next day) he is ALL over her…Talk about jumping the gun a bit. And all the way through the book he is always touching her. Which, I suppose on some levels is cute but it just yelled SMOTHERING at me. Give the girl some breathing space will you.

And then there is Angel’s controlling attitude towards Sarah. Now, in my eyes anyway, there is a fine line between being protective and being down right controlling and I think that Angel crossed that line and it did not make me comfortable one little bit – especially when I started to think how the relationship would develop in the future if this attitude continued.

His reaction to finding out that Sarah’s best friend was a guy was completely OTT and his continuing stance that boys and girls can’t ‘just’ be friends made me want to hit him. Just because the only relationship he has ever had with girls has been when they are throwing themselves at him it doesn’t mean that all boy/girl relationships are like that. And then (yip, ain’t finished yet) when he does semi get used to idea he demands to know whenever she and Sydney (her best-friend) talk on the phone. Now I’m sorry but at that point I would have been telling him where to go and not to slam the door as he left! How dare he! And the attitude of his brothers (and the other boys) towards women aren’t that much better and I would have loved to bang all their heads together and tell them to start respecting girls!

I just couldn’t gel with any of the characters at all.

So, all in all not my kind of book.

1 star...maybe 2 at a push.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, it sounds so bad!
    I don't think I would have finished it :(
    I'm sorry it let you down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was really disappointed. I would have stopped reading but I kept thinking that there was no way this guys attitude could keep up the way it was...but it did - mostly.

    Never mind. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!