Tuesday 5 April 2011

Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings by Helene Boudreau



Fourteen-year-old Jade feels like a freak-of-nature when she finally gets her first period while trying on an XL tankini at the mall. It gets worse when she runs into handsome Luke Martin in the feminine products aisle while her dad Googles 'menstruation' on his BlackBerry. But "freak-of-nature" takes on a whole new meaning when raging hormones bring on another metamorphosis-complete with scales and a tail. When Jade learns she's inherited her mermaid tendencies from her late mother, it raises the question: if Mom was a mermaid, how did she drown?

Pretty much like 'Persephone the Phony', I didn't get this expecting it to be an amazingly, mind melting piece of fiction. It was just for a change. And also because I happened to have just recently got a nice shiny kindle and I was trying it out.

But I actually enjoyed this. I mean, it wouldn't go at the top of my 'Absolutely Awesome Work of Fiction' list but it wasn't too bad. Although the unavoidable angsty-ness was about getting on my last nerve.

What is it with these YA books. So your friend acts a little 'off' with you for a few days. You don't start to freak out at her and start blabbering about not being on the same page and all this guff. I mean really, come on! Or am I just missing that particular girly gene that lives for drama and creates it if there is none to hand *insert eye roll here*

Anyway, it was kind of funky how the author tied in the sprouting a fishy tail with Jade hitting puberty. But I couldn't help but sigh in irritation at this point.It seemed to be blown completely out of proportion. But whatever, maybe this would appeal to a fourteen year old girl reading this. But right here and right now at the age of nearly 21 I just couldn't help but roll my eyes and go 'yeah, whatever'.

Right, onto the good stuff. Now those of us of the disney generation (mainly the girls I would think) would jump at the chance to turn into a Mermaid. Not Jade! And I will say that I found that totally refreshing She FREAKED OUT! I found her reaction realistic (let's face it - I think anyone would freak if they fell asleep with legs and woke up with a fishy tail) and I tip my hat to the author for having no referance at all (that I could see anyway) to The Little Mermaid.

And then there is Jade. I loved that she didn't just sit back and wait for something to happen and for a miraculous solution. She tied everything she could to fix the problem herself.

And I wouldn't recommend boys reading this. I mean, they can if they so wish. But it does deal with a girl starting her period so boys, consider yourselves warned.

A good, quick read, wouldn't read it again though I don't think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!